Assessing the SLPP’s Economic Transformation Promises as the Elections Near.
By the Sierra Leone Live Team.
As the elections on June 24, 2023, in Sierra Leone approach, it is essential to evaluate the performance of the incumbent Sierra Leone People’s Party (SLPP) in fulfilling its campaign promises. Sierra Leone Live (SierraLeoneLive.com) will now focus on “Transforming the Economy” as stated on page 9 of Part II of the 2018 SLPP Manifesto. We are currently investigating the performance of the SLPP and will produce an unbiased report on whether the party has accomplished its stated objectives.
The 2018 SLPP Manifesto emphasized the significance of economic transformation, recognizing that both human and infrastructure development, as well as the strengthening of governance structures, require funding. The manifesto acknowledges Sierra Leone’s vast natural resources but emphasizes the country’s failure to prudently use these resources to develop its human capital and infrastructure. The 2014 Ebola epidemic revealed the country’s inadequate health infrastructure and emphasized the need for a robust economic transformation.
To determine whether the SLPP fulfilled its pledges, it is necessary to examine the specific economic policies and strategies implemented during the party’s tenure, as well as the results and strategies. Important factors to consider include:
- Diversification of the economy: Has the SLPP been successful in reducing reliance on extractive industries and broadening the economic base to include agriculture, tourism, and other industries?
- Investment in human capital: What policies and programs have been implemented to improve education, healthcare, and social services, and have they resulted in measurable improvements in the quality of life for the people of Sierra Leone?
- Infrastructure development: Has the SLPP invested in the expansion and modernization of vital infrastructure, such as roads, ports, and energy facilities, to stimulate economic growth and enhance living conditions?
- Strengthening governance structures: Have steps been taken to improve transparency, accountability, and the rule of law, which are essential for fostering economic growth and luring investment?
- Fiscal management: How has the SLPP managed public finances, particularly in terms of revenue mobilization, expenditure control, and debt management, to ensure that resources are utilized efficiently and effectively for the population’s benefit?
As the elections are near, SierraLeoneLive.com will investigate these facets, comparing the SLPP’s performance to its manifesto pledges. This investigation will provide the electorate with a fact-based evaluation of the party’s accomplishments and shortcomings, allowing them to make informed voting decisions.
Noting that the evaluation of the SLPP’s performance in transforming the economy is a complex task involving multiple factors and requiring a nuanced understanding of the interdependence of economic and social policies is essential. In addition, it is crucial to acknowledge external factors, such as global economic trends and unanticipated crises, that may have impacted the party’s ability to fulfil its promises.
SierraLeoneLive.com will produce an impartial and comprehensive report on assessing the SLPP’s Economic Transformation in the coming weeks, shedding light on whether the party has fulfilled its promises to transform the economy for the betterment of the Sierra Leonean people.