Improve Communication Technology in Sierra Leone: 25 Essential Questions on the SLPP’s 2018 Commitments
By the Sierra Leone Live Team
Today, we invite you to engage in an exercise of democratic accountability and transparency. It’s time to assess the fulfilment of promises that were made to us under the New Direction of the SLPP government in 2018, specifically concerning Improving Communication Technology.
In an era of rapid technological advancements, effective communication technology plays a critical role in our nation’s development, touching various aspects of our lives, from education to governance, business, and personal connectivity. Five years ago, the SLPP presented us with a manifesto, promising significant improvements in this sector. Now, it’s time to evaluate how well it delivered these promises.
We have prepared 25 questions, categorized under different sections of the manifesto. These “yes” or “no” questions will guide you through various aspects of the promises made and help you gauge the effectiveness of their implementation. We urge you to answer these questions to the best of your knowledge and observation.
Telecommunications and Communication Services
Manifesto quote: “Under the New Direction, the next SLPP Government will ensure that telephony and communications services are improved.”
- Was there an improvement in telephony and communication services under the SLPP government?
- Was there a significant contribution to the country’s communication development?
- Were communication services made affordable for all citizens?
Manifesto quote: “De-politicise NATCOM to enable it to carry out its functions efficiently and effectively.”
- Was NATCOM de-politicised during the SLPP’s tenure?
- Were there visible improvements in NATCOM’s efficiency and effectiveness?
Sector Liberalization and Regulation
Manifesto quote: “Forge ahead with liberalising the sector, providing good regulation, and the enabling business environment to spur the sector forward.”
- Was the communication sector liberalised under the SLPP government?
- Were there noticeable improvements in the regulation of the communication sector?
Manifesto quote: “Establish an Electronic Governance system to manage government business electronically.”
- Was an Electronic Governance system established during the SLPP’s tenure?
- Were government operations managed electronically to a considerable extent?
Public Access to ICT
Manifesto quote: “Increase access by the public, particularly the rural poor, to all aspects of ICT.”
- Was there an increase in public access to ICT under the SLPP government?
- Were measures taken to increase ICT access for the rural poor?
- Were computer training and facilities established in Public Libraries, schools, and colleges?
Security of Information
Manifesto quote: “Protect legal documents by establishment of digital storage centres at remote locations.”
- Were digital storage centres established at remote locations?
- Were health records, land records, and other government documents securely backed up?
Community Radio Stations
Manifesto quote: “Increase encouragement for setting up of community radio stations.”
- Was there increased encouragement for setting up community radio stations under the SLPP government?
Availability of ICT Equipment
Manifesto quote: “Increase availability of ICT equipment by providing the requisite incentives.”
- Was there an increase in the availability of ICT equipment?
- Were the requisite incentives provided to increase the availability of ICT equipment?
Education and ICT Skills Development
Manifesto quote: “Science teaching will be encouraged in schools and colleges through focused policies in education.”
- Was science teaching encouraged in schools and colleges under the SLPP government?
- Were focused policies in education implemented to encourage science teaching?
Manifesto quote: “Further enhance broadband access across the country, improving rural telecommunications, and creating customer choice and affordability.”
- Was there a noticeable enhancement in broadband access across the country?
- Was there an improvement in rural telecommunications?
- Was there an increase in customer choice and affordability for broadband services?
Technical and Scientific Labour Force
Manifesto quote: “This will lead to a growing pool of technical and scientific labour to create a middle manpower pool nationwide.”
- Was there a visible growth in the pool of technical and scientific labour under the SLPP government?
- Was a middle-manpower pool created nationwide?
- Were measures implemented to increase the technical and scientific labour force?
We thank you for taking an active part in this exercise. Your involvement in this process is essential for holding our government accountable and for fostering the growth of our nation.
Thank you for getting involved and thank you for your commitment to our beloved Sierra Leone.
Please take the Survey